English is one of the most used languages in the world. It has become a requirement in the professional world. Though there are many China and US-based ESL platforms, here in this article we will learn about a Russia-based platform that is Skyeng. Skyeng platform not only offers one on one classes to students to learn English but there are some other services as well. But is it worth using Skyeng?
You do need not have a bachelor’s degree to become a tutor on this platform and can apply on this platform even if you are a non-native speaker. Though the pay rate that you get on this platform is comparatively low, you need to give at least 15-20 hours per week. Further, we have explained more about Skyeng.
What is Skyeng?
Skyeng is an online Russia-based ESL company that helps students to connect with both native and non-native-speaking tutors from the rest of the world. It is a multinational English language school that is leading in educational software development in Europe. There are more than 100,000 students from all over the world with more than 11,000 highly skilled professors in their virtual classrooms.
At Skyeng, there are daily Speaking Clubs to encourage as much English practice as possible for the students. In these group sessions, students talk in English about their favorite subjects while the teacher clarifies any unclear terms or phrases. There is one special service known as Skyeng Talks.
What are Skyeng Talks?
Skyeng talk is a service in which you will have to conduct a 15-minute conversation with the students. It is helpful for those who want to focus on their spoken English. If you do not want to indulge in long lesson plans, then you can consider choosing them. Though to become a tutor at it, you will need to have a different application form on their website. After reviewing your application they will ask you to record a video of yourself which will also include the entails of your resume in a prescribed manner. Once your video is reviewed, you will get the result of your video.
Benefits of using Skyeng for teaching
- You do not need to have a bachelor’s degree to apply for it.
- This platform also allows teaching elder students.
- The team management is very supportive.
- There will be teaching material given by this platform.
- If you are a non-native speaker, you can still apply on this platform.
Drawbacks of using Skyeng for teaching
- You will get relatively low pay rates when compared to other platforms.
- There should be a commitment of at least 15-20 hours a week.
- Usually, there are technical issues found on this platform.
- You will get no paid vacations or emergency leaves.
- There are very few bonuses found on this platform.
skyeng review – Is Skyeng worth it?
The services offered by Skyeng for tutors are great except for the money. Though earning money is the main goal of every tutor, this platform may not be worthy for most of you. As the pay rates that they offer are too low and also there are very less bonuses due to which you may be demotivated to use this platform. However, if you are searching for a place with a great support system, then you must go for this platform.
Most of the previous reviews by the tutors give positive feedback for their management services. Also, the minimum hour commitment within a week is not that hard to give. This platform is also best for tutors who want to teach adult students as it is very hard to find such ESL platforms just like TeachCast where you can teach adult kids. Overall we see that the only thing that may stop you from using this platform is the pay rate offered by the company.
Is Skyeng legit?
The number of tutors and students shows the legitimacy and reliability of using this platform. Different portals like Glassdoor and Indeed also give this platform a good rating. There are different services in which students can enroll themselves. Also, there is a safety policy on this platform that helps to secure your data from others. They also make sure that none of your data is used for any advertisement purposes.
How much can you earn at Skyeng?
If we talk about the currency in the US Skyeng offers you a pay rate of $3-$5.5. This means that if you are teaching a lower age group of kids you can earn up to 400 Rubles for a 50-minute session and if you are teaching students above 7 years you will get around 220 Rubles (almost $3). The company also states that if a tutor knows an additional language then, that tutor can earn even more.
As far as a bonus is concerned, if you can give 100 lessons within a month, you get a bonus of $27. The payment is done by direct Bank Transfer or Payoneer every 13th and 28th of each month. During the time of the Russian summer break, there are very few bookings, as most of the kids are gone for vacations.
Requirements of Skyeng
- You can either be a native or non-native speaker with good English command.
- There should be TESOL/TEFL or any other related certification.
- Good quality PC or Laptop with an HD camera and a good quality headset with a microphone.
- A high and stable internet connection speed is required.
How to become a tutor at Skyeng?
- To start with you need to complete the application process by signing up on the platform. You will need to complete the details asked in the form.
- A resume and cover letter may be asked to submit in the application form along with other details.
- Once your application is reviewed, you will need to wait for their response. If your application is passed, then you will be asked to record a short video about yourself. They would give you 4-5 questions whose answers you need to record in your video. It should be at least 2 minutes.
- You will get the result of the video submission within 3 days of submitting. If your video is accepted, you will get an interview invitation.
- The interview takes place on Skype. In the interview, you will be answering questions based on your teaching experience, education, etc.
- During your interview, you will be asked some grammar-based questions, which are generally done to take a short test based on Grammar.
- In that interview, you will need to give a demo class as well. Make sure not to exceed more than 20 minutes. It is done to examine your teaching skills.
- Once done you will need to take up the training program. Complete your training and start with your first class.
Skyeng is a Russia-based online ESL platform like Native Camp that helps Russian students to connect with English learning tutors. This is one of those platforms that horse non-native speakers as well. Although the working atmosphere is good and the management system is quite supportive. The main drawback which may demotivate you is the low pay rate that is offered by this platform.
- Updated List of Every Duolingo Language Available in 2023 (With Stats of Users) - March 28, 2023
- What Happened to the Duolingo Incubator? (Will It Come Back?) - March 28, 2023
- Duolingo Leagues and Leaderboards – Step-by-Step Guide For You - March 27, 2023